Message From Us

The Immigration Department Accepts Applications for Return to Hong Kong from Non-Permanent Residents Outside Hong Kong under the COVID-19 Pandemic (Not Applicable to Foreign Domestic Helpers and Imported Workers)

In general, persons admitted into Hong Kong under various immigration policies/schemes may apply for extension of stay within four weeks before their limit of stay expires. Applicants should be physically present in Hong Kong both at the time of applications and collection of the relevant labels (for approved applications).

Some persons outside Hong Kong with their limit of stay about to expire / expired and, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, may not be able to return to Hong Kong timely (Note 1) to apply for extension of stay. For those whose limit of stay is about to expire (within four weeks) / has expired for less than 12 months, they may submit a duly completed application form (Note 2) together with the required supporting documents required for application for extension of stay under the relevant immigration policy/scheme concerned in general situations, and a letter setting out the details on their inability to return to Hong Kong timely for the extension of stay formalities. If the applicants continue to meet the eligibility criteria under the relevant immigration policy/scheme concerned and it is satisfied that the applicants’ circumstances are a continuation of their previous residence in Hong Kong, the Immigration Department may consider issuing the applicants with a visa/entry permit for their return to Hong Kong within the validity of that visa/entry permit. For more details, please email us: [email protected].

Note 1:
The webpage link for prevailing restrictions on entering Hong Kong is as follows:

Note 2:
Capital Investment Entrant Scheme entrants should complete application form ID 967 . Other applicants should complete the application form ID 91 (even if they are outside Hong Kong and apply for a visa/entry permit to return to Hong Kong under this arrangement).